Friday, January 25, 2013
Be a Fruit Loop in a World Full of Cheerios
With all that has been going on I almost forgot that today is the 2nd anniversary of my blog.
Those of you that know me know that I'm not in it for the money or fame! I'm in it for the interaction with other like minded women. I am so very happy to have 104 followers. When I first started I remember saying I would never have 30 women crazy enough to care about what I wore or how I felt.
A lot of things have happened to me in the last year and really none of them were good. My stress level has been off the charts and my good nature has been challenged more than I care to admit.
I just kept thinking one day at a time, and sure enough I am starting to see some light at the end of that elusive tunnel. I am thankful daily for my incredible husband that has taken care of me for the last 5 months and my family that has encouraged and supported me for the last year.
I didn't take any pictures for my blogversary and to be honest I barely got dressed today. I've been very strict on myself through out my recovery to dress and put on make up everyday. Today it was cold, snowing and blowing and I caved to laziness and comfort. It actually is pretty liberating to have a day like this. I am currently rewarding myself with a glass of wine! (Hold on--had to take a victory slurp).
I thought I'd make a little list of the top 10 things I have learned since I was accepted into the "Ya Ya Sisterhood" of blogging. This could get a little scary but you know my sense of humor!
1. How to wear a scarf and not look like I'm visiting a Muslim country.
2. Yes, I can wear a little navy eye shadow without looking like Tammy Faye Baker.
3. Use trends as an accessory not the main attraction. Life is not Pee Wee's Big Top.
4. We all have problems. Some are bigger than others but they shift around and hit us when we least expect it. When it's your turn "Eat, Pray and Love". When it's someone else's turn encourage them to do the same.
5. The joy of being exposed to the greatest group of women. They have encouraged me, laughed at, and with me. Consoled me and cheered me up on more occasions than I can remember.
6. Money is as money does. Purchase wisely on quality items. Whether it be retail or thrifting. Junk is junk.
7. FLATS ARE OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I wear a size 10 if anybody wants to contribute to my sad little collection).
8. How to become a better writer. I'm a long way from where I started and I've got miles to walk in this cha-cha world but, at least I'm growing, learning and trying to teach myself a very valuable skill.
9. That we have a voice. We have decided not to fade off quietly into the night as we age. Those 20 somethings really do owe us a debt of gratitude. And, yes we have paved the way!
10. Most importantly! It's ok to be a fruit loop in a world of cheerios!
Have a great weekend!